Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Just Checking In . . .


 We certainly have been having some spectacular sunsets lately. This was a quick grabshot taken with my iPhone from my deck on Saturday.

 It was a quilting weekend in Stoughton, but instead of lugging my sewing machine, I worked on my current wool applique piece. I truly enjoy hand stitching and find it to be very relaxing. The wool piece is nearly done, so I should be posting a photo of it soon. I had intended to begin it during the AFC Championship game two weeks ago, but that had to have been one of the very most stressful New England Patriots games ever! No stitching got done that day at all.

Another project that is coming along nicely is this hexagon quilt which I started while I was recuperating from my recent breast cancer surgery. During that period I just couldn't get interested in or concentrate on any of my quilting projects. Then I read a blog post  English Paper Piecing Hexagons and Grandmother's Flower Garden Blocks on A Quilting Life. I had never done any English paper piecing before, but let me say that it is addictive. Here are some of the finished blocks up on my design wall; I have yet to determine how large my quilt will be.



Now for a few recommendations . . .

Every evening before turning in I watch HGTV's House Hunters and House Hunters International which I usually find relaxing and enjoyable, but now, I have found something even better, Escape to the Country. It's basically the same premise; in this show couples are usually seeking to leave a hectic city life and are hoping for a more relaxed life in the incredibly, beautiful British countryside. I love this program!!! In each episode, the home seekers are presented with two houses and then another "mystery" third option which usually has some truly unique features. The rolling hills, the fields of green, the architecture,  the lovely villages, each place more special than the last; it's enough to make you want to pack your bags and head across the pond. (This series is available on Netflix and you may also find many episodes on YouTube.) If you like House Hunters, I promise you will love Escape to the Country.

I was talking about this program while at quilting on Saturday afternoon when someone told me about a mini series called Dr. Thorne.  It's a four-part miniseries available on Amazon Prime. It is based on the novel, Dr. Thorne, by Anthony Trollope. Julian Fellows known for writing Downton Abbey penned this adaptation. Let me just say, Dr. Thorne is wonderful. I have never binge watched anything, but I watched all four parts Saturday night in one sitting. If you have Amazon Prime, please watch this wonderful period piece. It's a delight.

Final recommendation . . . Let me start by saying, I never go to super hero movies, nor to the best of my recollection, have I ever read any super hero comic books in my life. BUT I saw that Black Panther was available on Netflix, so one night I decided to check it out. Even with all the accolades that this movie has received, I was not expecting that it would appeal to me. I was wrong; it's a very good movie. The visuals are truly stunning, and I regret not having gone to see it on the big screen. I read today that it will be brought back to the cinemas in February, and I would definitely be tempted to see it then on the big screen.

Well, this is a bit long, so I'll stop here. Have a good week and keep warm. :-()

Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That quilt is beautiful, can't wait to see it finished. Good luck with the game.

    ReplyDelete