Friday, January 11, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns - Practically Perfect in Every Way


Have you seen Mary Poppins Returns? It is wonderful!!! Emily Blunt is perfect as everyone's favorite nanny, and Lin-Manuel Miranda simply lights up the screen. In fact, everyone in the cast is perfect. The "Trip a Little Light Fantastic' big dance number is wonderful and though I didn't leave the theater humming or singing any particular tune, the music was perfect for the film. The scenes with animation are truly magical!!!

Did I enjoy the movie? You bet I did . . . every joyous minute of it!!! Go see it today!!!

The original Mary Poppins movie was, I think, the very first movie that my friends and I went to see by ourselves. Of course, my dad drove us to the theater and picked us up, but we were old enough to go without an adult. I loved that movie, and I loved this one, too!!!

If you haven't seen it yet, please do so as it's guaranteed to lift your spirits.

Now, as for the photo above . . . When I was in college, I was given the great honor of becoming my baby cousin Kristin's godmother. I was thrilled and wanted to make something special for her.  I found some books with images of Mary Poppins and inspired by them designed this crewel piece . The umbrella even has a a parrot head!. My dad made the frame for it, and it hung in her bedroom as she grew up and today hangs in her daughter's bedroom. :-)

While writing this post, I had one eye on the John Ford classic, Young Mr. Lincoln, starring Henry Ford playing on TCM. 1939 was a phenomenal year for films. Here are just some of the other films from that year.

Gone with the Wind
Wuthering Heights
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Stagecoach
The Wizard of Oz
Of Mice and Men
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Dark Victory

In case you are wondering, at the Oscars in 1940, Gone with the Wind won best picture, Vivian Leigh best actress, and Robert Donat, best actor for Goodbye Mr. Chips.

Again, be sure you go see Mary Poppins Returns!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a special piece! It must make your heart glow to know that the next generation is enjoying your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie last week and left feeling lighter, it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete