Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Herring Run Quilt Guild Getaway 2018

Seventy-seven quilters headed to Sturbridge, MA, over the weekend for a getaway. Two of my friends and I headed there a day early to visit quilt shops in the area. Not surprisingly, we saw fellow guild members at each of our stops. It seems many of us went an extra day early. My favorite shop was Appletree Fabrics in Auburn, MA. It was a lovely shop with a beautiful selection of fabric.


 Another stop was at the Meeting House Quilt Shop in Wales, MA. The displays in this shop were charming. There was quite a bit of Civil War Reproduction fabric and other styles and colorways which were not my style, but if I didn't already have a draw chock full of wool fabric, I could have done a lot of shopping here.

 On Friday night, we were invited to The Charlton Sewing Center for some private hours of shopping and a delicious spread of chocolate desserts.  Cathy Racine, the owner of this shop, was also the speaker at our Saturday night dinner. She is warm, funny, and entertaining and possibly the only person who could make the subject of needles and thread tension fun! Trust me . . . she was that good.


These were the cute little fat quarter cupcake favors at our places for dinner on Saturday night. The candles in the cupcakes were tape measures. They were made by Clare and Nancy, two members of our guild, who also made jar openers for each person.


So, you might be wondering . . . what did I buy?  The photo below shows some flannel fabric for the back of a baby quilt, a piece of tonal grey fabric for an upcoming project, a rustic flag panel,  a gorgeous piece of blue print batik, some brown batik yardage, and a number of fat quarters.


The lush coordinating fabrics below may become a table runner.


I see lots of possibilities in this water color batik. It's only a fat quarter and now I wish that I had checked to see if there was yardage of this fabric.  H'mmm . . . I may just have to make a return trip. :-) Now which shop was it??? I think it was either Appletree Fabrics or Quilt and Cabbage in Sturbridge.


So, non-quilters might be wondering whether we spend the entire weekend quilting. Yup, that's pretty much it . . .  along with shopping for fabric, talking, laughing, eating, admiring each others' work, laughing some more, creating, and in general having a fun, relaxing, productive weekend.

Emma stayed at her home away from home. She always enjoys her time with her other family and canine cousins, Harvey and Bailey. I am so fortunate to have friends who will welcome Emma into their home. Here we are Sunday night after a very full weekend.


In my next post, I'll show you what I accomplished.

Oh, I almost forgot. We were not the only ones at the conference center. There was a major chess tournament and over four hundred Bermese Mountain dogs attending a regional breed show!!! We met a few of the dogs, and they were truly beautiful, gentle giants.

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the conference center to be large enough for quilters, a huge dog show and a chess tournament! That is great that Emma has such a great home away from home. I bet she still missed you, though! Lovely fabrics and such a cute idea for the cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur trip sounds fantastic, so glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete