Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Legend in Concert


     I have been a Willie Nelson fan for many years and have always wanted to see him in live performance. A few years ago, I had tickets for a concert, but it was abruptly cancelled. Last night, I finally got to see him in person and what a concert it was!!! He performed at the South Shore Music Circus, which is a wonderfully intimate venue in Cohasset, MA, and thus a great place to see a show. I have to admit that at first I was a bit disappointed as Willie seemed to be more speaking the words than singing them, but as the music rolled on his voice became stronger and stronger. It was ninety straight minutes of pure music, one hit after another.


     Most people know Willie as a prolific songwriter and singer, but he is also an incredible guitarist. His fingers have not slowed down a lick as he coaxes mighty sweet music from his beat up old guitar. Kudos also go to his harmonica player who is masterful. My dear dad played the harmonica for fun, but nothing like this.  The harmonica was key in each and every song.



     Red Molly was the opening act, a trio of three lovely singers/musicians. If you haven't heard of them yet, trust me, you will soon. They are that good!!! Their sound was a blend of traditional country, bluegrass, western swing, and a touch of Allison Krauss. Each singer performed a solo, but it was in the blending of their voices in sweet harmony that created pure magic. You can check their tour schedule on their website.  They will be in Massachusetts again in November, and I hope I will be able to attend their performance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment