Thursday, August 1, 2024

A Summer Stitch

 


Between the rain showers yesterday, I rolled out onto the deck to take photos of this ruby throated hibiscus. My friend Cathy had moved many of my pots up on to my deck, so I can roll out there with a plastic jug of water to keep them going. I had intended to use them in a project, but that project will have to wait until next summer.


When I sold my aunts’ home years ago, I had taken home my Aunt Alice’s vintage orange gardening cart. It has been sitting in the back of my garage holding miscellaneous pots and gardening implements. I had originally used it for my gardening, but when my sunporch was added, it created a large storage area under the porch and the cart was not needed. I enjoy watching gardening programs on Youtube, and a couple of weeks ago I was inspired to work on a new project. My neighbor had recently purchased a special drill bit with which he created a few drainage holes for me in the heavy metal cart. Off I went to Lowe’s to purchase some Rustoleum paint: royal blue for the body and white for the handles and wheel trim. Next I picked up a large plastic pot to fit inside the cart. I could already see the profusion of beautiful blooms that would cascade over the sides of the cart. And then . . . the ruptured Achilles tendon happened. :-(. Next year it will be my top priority spring project.

I am blessed to have wonderful neighbors; my next door neighbors are going to water my other flowers. My Cousin Kristin and her girls came to visit on Saturday and among other things, they watered and fertilized all of my hanging pots. (I had actually gone around the yard with my rollator earlier in the week dragging along a hose to do the watering, but even I realized that was a one time thing and beyond downright stupid.) 




Erin Wasilieff of Erin Elizabeth Designer is a Canadian cross stitcher who creates fun, whimsical charts. I love everything about this one and have already ordered another of her charts. :-)

In other stitching news: I’m back quilting!!! I had ‘sorta’ lost my quilting mojo. The Herring Run Quilt Guild has an upcoming quilt show, so I’ve been buckling down to finish a half completed quilt. I’ll show a few blocks from it next time.

For Emma Fans: How is she dealing with things? Well, she hates the rollator, but thinks my boot is absolutely swell, a perfect place to rest her head. :-)




Are you watching the Olympics? It’s interesting to hear how many athletes are recovering from Achilles injuries, so if anyone asks, that’s it,  I’m telling folks I injured mine training for the Olympics!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the Olympics and watch snatches of all that I can. It is interesting about the Achilles tendon injuries. Your summer pillow stitchery is adorable! Those houses are super cute. Good for you to push yourself a bit with the watering. . .then you truly get the picture of limitations. I'm glad to read you have gardening projects at the ready for next season! Keep following the rules and heal!!!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete