Monday, March 6, 2023

Lulu et Ses Cactus and Casablanca


Here’s a recent cross stitch finish, Lulu et Ses Cactus by Jardin Prive which I started back in March 2021. I had originally seen the piece on someone’s flosstube and thought it was cute and colorful. (This photo doesn’t quite do it justice as it is much more colorful in person.) It was in my stitching rotation and probably eighty percent done when I decided to make it my 25/7 focus piece and just get it finished. 25/7 means stitching on the same piece for twenty-five minutes each day of the week until a piece is completed. I’m here to say that that strategy works! This was my after breakfast stitch to start my day. 

My plan was to purchase a narrow metal frame matching one of the bright colors in the piece, but I was unsuccessful finding one. Happily, I found this perfect size piece in the wood section of Hobby Lobby.

I’m making steady progress on my current 25/7 piece and cannot wait to see it completed. It’s amazing how allocating a set amount of time daily can help you accomplish things. Maybe I should thus allocate two hours a day to quilting??? H’mmm, that’s a thought.

Yesterday afternoon I went to see Casablanca on the big screen at the Showcase Cinema in Randolph. I’m partial to movies from the 1930s and 1940s, and Casablanca starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergmen was brilliant. This is a movie that I have seen many times through the years on tv but seeing it on the big screen was like seeing it for the first time.  I wish showing classic films such as this was a regular feature of this cinema, but there are no more vintage movies on the schedule.

Lastly, I am happy that the Alex Murdaugh trial is over. Though I never ever watch any of the true crime programs on tv or follow any such podcasts, I found myself drawn in to watching far too much of this trial. What an horrific  crime. If I had been on the jury, I, too, would have voted him guilty. 

Let me leave you on a brighter note.


This amaryllis had been a Christmas gift and had already put up two stalks with multiple blossoms. I read a few articles and watched a number of youtube videos showing how to get your amaryllis to rebloom next year. The first step was to cut down the stalks and treat it as a houseplant. I moved it to my sewing room and after a few weeks another stalk emerged!!!  The first set of blooms had been in January. The steps to follow to get it to rebloom next year seem simple enough, so I am going to give it a try. :-)

Here’s looking at you kid and have a lovely week. :-()

1 comment:

  1. Your Lulu piece is cute and the framing supports the cross stitch beautifully! I enjoyed your December amaryllis photo and today, I enjoyed your March photo. . .amazing to get two bloom periods!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete