Monday, March 22, 2021

Help Needed to Identify this Hawk

Hi Everyone! Happy Spring!!! Today I wanted to show you who has been hanging around the woods behind my house. As I have explained previously, "the woods" is a narrow strip of no man's land between my street and the one behind it. Though small in area, it is pretty active. This is where deer have sometimes come for a day or two and other creatures such as fox and skunks and raccoons and turkeys, oh my . . .

 Anyway, yesterday morning when I took Emma out, this handsome fellow was ripping apart his breakfast up in the big, old tree directly behind my estate. :-) I bolted inside, grabbed my camera with my 100 - 300m lens, and took these shots. (Please do click on any image for a close up look at this beautiful creature.)


 Can you help me identify what kind of hawk he/she is? From an internet search and my trusty bird book, I think it might be a broad-winged hawk which is a close relative of the red-tailed hawk. None on my photos capture the hawk's tail from the back.

This morning when Emma and I returned from our walk, there were two hawks sitting side by side on a branch behind my neighbor's property. I've read that the real estate market has been really heating up in recent months. Perhaps this pair is looking for a suitable spot in our neighborhood. Fingers crossed they find something that they like!

Don't worry; I won't be letting Miss Emma out in the backyard by herself. Besides, a neighbor further down the street has seen coyotes roaming around. Gee, remember when I only had to deal with a big flock of wild turkeys?

Stay safe, everyone. Have an awesome week. There is a light at the end of this pandemic tunnel.

4 comments:

  1. I can't help you with identifying the hawk. Those are great shots of him or her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look up kriders hawk a variant of one of the major varieties. I think a red tailed. Do know where you live but I saw one on Merritt Island Florida last year and was told they are spreading throughout the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Massachusetts. I haven’t seen the hawks in the last few days. If they return, I’ll try try to get a better look at the tail feathers. It could be a kriders hawk.
      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. We have red tailed hawks here, they are much darker. Yours is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete