Saturday, June 6, 2020

Signs of Our Time

I promise that today's post will be lighter in tone than my previous one. Not that the emotions are any less intense and the feelings less passionate, but I realize that as we face crisis after crisis, we need to have moments of lightness to maintain our psyches. Hopefully, you will find some brief moments of lightness in this post.  


The sign above was in the lobby of my doctor's office, and the one below was from the Cameo movie theater in South Weymouth, MA.


On Tuesday,  Miss Emma went to be groomed at Pooch Paws in Rockland. Her last grooming was on Feb.18th. We both get our fur/hair done every six weeks, but when the world turned upside down, both of us got shaggier and shaggier. Her appointments kept getting postponed. I took to trimming her eyebrows so she could see, but the mats in her furnishings were hopeless. You have never seen a dog happier to be entering the grooming salon! Cheryl had to give her a super short cut and remove her beard, but it will all grow back. It was such an amazing transformation that I pleaded with Cheryl to run her razor through my hair, but she politely refused. 

Before the grooming, I was a bit concerned that Emma in spite of our daily walks had gained weight. I figured about five pounds or so. As you can see, it was just all that hair!!! She is as sleek as ever. You should have seen her bounding around the backyard when we got home.

I, too, decided to abandon my new covid hobby. As I have mentioned before, I have curly, bushy, red hair. My new pastime had involved trying to let it grow and attempting to keep it under some semblance of control. Things were going along 'fairly' okay until the humidity hit on Tuesday. There was no hope. Frizzy doesn't begin to describe the problem. (Picture Little Orphan Annie's hair after sticking a finger in a light socket!!!) So, on Thursday I had my hair cut. The procedure was different. I'm detailing it here as part of my covid-19 records.

Upon arrival at the salon, I texted and was told to wait until my hairdresser was free. When notified that I could enter, I saw that the reception area had been taped off with yellow caution tape. It is a small shop, and one of the three chairs had been moved aside to maintain social distancing between customers. Both hairdressers and clients had to be masked. The hairdressers are allowed only one customer at a time and only one customer throughout the entire process. Fortunately, I am a wash, cut, and out the door . . . (I did not want it, but Holly told me that they are not allowed to do any blow drying.)

 One disappointing note: though incredibly hopeful . . . unlike Emma, I did not appear to lose even a single pound after leaving a pile of my bushy locks on the salon floor.   With that in mind, let me show something that I saw on one of my favorite blogs, Anna Bates' Woolie Mammoth.


I promise I will if you will !!!

And one last thing . . .


Have hope. Stay safe. Stay strong.

2 comments:

  1. I'm all over that "have you lost weight?" phrase. . .genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you look as wonderful as Emma. The before and after made me smile, I had a before and after of my boys and frankly am still a bit shocked every time I look at them and they were cut three weeks ago. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete