Monday, February 24, 2020

Birthdays, Beyblades, and Putting Things in Safe Places

Yesterday, I attended the birthday party of my eight year old cousin Desmond. Des is whip smart, a math whiz, cute as a button, and an aficionado of all things beyblade. Beyblades???? I had never ever heard of them, but in short order he gave me a full crash course on this spinning top toy: the lingo, the tools, the challenges, etc. There is nothing more entertaining then the pure enthusiasm of an eight year old. Priceless!

On another note, my family moved to this home when I was just a year old. That means that some things have been in their places for my entire life. For example: need scotch tape . . . top left drawer of the dining room credenza, looking for an awl . . . round spinner rack on the cellar work bench . . . etc.. :-) This leads to the problem of bringing new items into the house. I recently purchased a package of metal straws with a cute little cleaning brush. Now you would think that I would have put the slim little package of straws next to the container of plastic straws in the cabinet, so they would be handy when I used up the plastic ones. You might think that, but you would be wrong. I have no clue where I put the package; I have looked everywhere. Next, I'm using some home dec fabric that I found on the free table at a recent guild meeting. Within the last month, I remember finding a roll of woven strapping which would be perfect to use for handles in this tote project. What's the problem? You guessed it . . . I tucked it away in a "safe place" so it would be readily available should I ever have a need for it . . . I haven't a clue where I put it. Should I be admitting this??? Please tell me that this sort of thing happens to you as well. New strategy  . . .  I going to label a small notebook "Safe Place" and jot down where I tuck items away. :-)

 I have been working on clearing some things out. (No, I am not moving . . . just weeding stuff out.) My attic is basically empty, and I have been tackling the cellar. The other day I came across this sailboat stained glass mirror that I had made for my brother during my stained glass phase. I'm a dabbler and love to explore all types of crafts. It is far too pretty to remain wrapped up in newspaper on top of a shelf in the basement, so it is now hanging in my sunporch.


I wonder what other forgotten treasures I will come across???

One more thing . . . I fixed the broken link for Elm Street Quilts Tutorials in my previous post; check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. Eight year olds have a wonderment all their own! It is a fun age to be around! Your sailboat is hanging in the perfect place. I too have started clearing and no. . . .I'm not moving. . .just need to have space to bring in more!

    ReplyDelete