Thursday, May 16, 2019

A Finished Project - Embroidery, Stitching, and Surface Design



I finished a project!!!  As mentioned in a prior post,  a few months ago I signed up for an online class, "Layered Pages,offered by Janelle Girod and Kristin Rodrigues, a mother/daughter team who are the owners of  Fabrics on a Whim, a good online source for your art quilt and mixed media needs. The course consisted of a weekly online video and instruction sheets for each of the six lessons.  You had access to these videos for a month or so after the class ended which was great for me because I got started a bit late.

While I do enjoy making regular quilts, I really enjoy exploring all aspects of art quilting and of hand stitching. Give me some bits and bobs, lace, trim, beads, buttons, etc.,  and I am one happy lady. Through this course, I discovered a few products that I had never used before.

You were encouraged to do your own thing. A small kit with supplies was provided, but I had lots of this wondrous 'stuff' already on hand. For example, the vintage button that I sewed onto the cover has been in my stash for quite a while just waiting to be used in the right project.

I followed many of the ideas presented, but since I had enough material left over, I added a few of my own designs and a few more pages. Pinterest was an excellent source for embroidery ideas. Let me show you some of the pages in this book. . .


The page above on the left has a round charm that says "Be Strong" and some lettered beads which spell out my spirit word RESILIENCE.  I had the tiny pink bird button in my stash, and I love how it gives the other page some life. (By the way, each page is about 4.5" square; click on any photo to see a larger version. )








I stitched/wove this tiny basket using two colors of yarn; here's a close up.


This is the back cover .


All and all, it was a very good, fun class.

No comments:

Post a Comment