Friday, December 1, 2017

Outdoor Christmas Decorating




It's a rare day in November when the temperature is close to sixty in New England. I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to do my outside holiday decorating on Wednesday. This sled was from my father's childhood. I drag it out of the garage each year as part of my decorating. Another standard feature is this heavy, old metal bucket. This year I had a stroke of genius . . . well . . . perhaps "genius" might be a stretch, but I did have a good idea. Usually, I gather the pine boughs, tie them,  and try to arrange them in the bucket, but not this year. Look what I came up with.


I trimmed the branches at the bottom and inserted one in each of the holes of a turned over plastic flowerpot which when it was done led to this.


Last but not least, I decorated the pine tree in my backyard. It was once a six inch sapling given away by the DPW (Department of Public Works) at least twenty years ago. In years past, I would only need a six foot stepladder to reach the top of the tree. For safety sake, I have abandoned the stepladder and now use a long-handled gardening tool to pull down the branched and attach the ornaments.


The stepladder wouldn't work anyway as the tree is now about twenty feet!!! I'm only able to decorate the bottom half. It's fun and colorful, and I'm sure it surprises folks as they are walking or driving by.

Now it's time to start on the inside.

One other note: I finished The Red Coat - A Novel of Boston, and I rally do think you should add it to your reading list.

2 comments:

  1. I've only a poinsettia and one wall hanging up for Christmas decorations. I plan to get with this program next week. I do have a few packages wrapped. Great idea with the bucket. How fun to have your dad's sled as winter decorations. My grandparents had a tree like you. Your story sure brought back memories to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well .. seems like a brilliant idea to me! lol x It is soo wet and windy here at the moment the decorations would be in the next street! lol x enjoy x

    ReplyDelete