Sunday, October 22, 2017

Cranberry Harvest


This was a Stoughton quilting weekend, but I only really spent time there on Friday. Yesterday, I attended the 12th birthday party for my cousin's triplets. It doesn't seem possible that they are that old. Today after church, I decided it was too beautiful to spend the day inside quilting, so I headed to Plymouth in hopes of photographing a bog being worked. I thought I would share some photos in case you have never seen a cranberry harvest.


First, the bog is flooded and then a machine not unlike a giant eggbeater is driven through the bog to release the berries from the bushes. The berries float to the surface creating a magnificent crimson carpet. That probably occurred yesterday. When I arrived on the scene this morning, a worker was pulling a very long band through the bog encircling and pulling together the berries. 


Here's my favorite image of the day.


Then the trucks are brought up and a machine siphons the berries up. The "separator"  spews the twigs and leaves into the pickup truck and the cranberries into the long truck.






It's fascinating to watch the whole procedure. I was also surprised to see so much gorgeous color appearing along the highway. Hopefully, the color will deepen here on the south shore. 

On another note . . . if you have emailed me and not received a response it is because my email is messed up. I can receive email, but my responses are not going through. My responses appear in the sent folder, but no one receives them. Comcast is supposedly working on it. Yesterday while dealing with a level two technician, suddenly over 10,000 previously deleted emails dating back to 2014 appeared in my laptop inbox and about 700 on my iPad. Yikes!!! But . . . they're working on it. . . fingers crossed . . .

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is interesting about the harvest process and since I love red, I enjoyed each and every photo! Bummer about the e-mail. Hope you are back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete