Thursday, January 16, 2014

Shadow Man and Two Reviews


     Is it just me or doesn't this look like a profile of a man or at the very least a cartoon character? It should come as no surprise that I always have a camera of some sort handy. One day last week about 4:00 in the afternoon, the sun coming through the back door projected this image.  What created this illusion? It was a haphazard group of pamphlets and some mail in a holder on the kitchen table. I thought it was pretty cool!!!

   
     For months I've been looking for a good read. Finally, I picked up John Grisham's Sycamore Row. The main character is lawyer Jake Brigance introduced in Grisham's earlier novel, A Time to Kill. Is the book deep and profound? No, but it is a good story which held my interest and that was greatly appreciated. I stayed up way too late a couple of nights reading "just one more chapter." Another very fine Grisham novel is A Painted House which has nothing to do with the practice of the law. I highly recommend it as well.
     Last . . . Saving Mr. Banks. The film deals with the backstory of how Walt Disney tried to convince author P. L. Travers to allow him to make a movie of her beloved Mary Poppins books. It proved to be quite a challenge. The scenes of her childhood were exquisitely photographed, and everyone in the cast was wonderful. Definitely go see it. My rating: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment