Sunday, August 5, 2012

Quilt Shops, Lighthouses, and Lobsters - Part 4


     Here are just a few more glimpse of the beauty of the Maine coast.



     This pretty lighthouse below is on Southport Island. Hendrick Head Light is not open to the public, but you can view it from the tiny beach near it.


     I did manage to get a few sunset scenes. This was taken from the tiny Fisherman's Memorial Park across from the Catholic church in Boothbay Harbor.


And, of course, no Maine post would be complete without another taste of lobster.


This time I even indulged in the homemade blueberry pie.


Honestly, does it get any better than that????


   We stopped at two more wonderful quilt shops on the drive home to Massachusetts. The first was Mariner's Compass Quilt Shop in Bath, ME. There I saw a beautiful machine appliqué quilt on display. It was in the style of an Hawaiian appliqué. Yes, I left the store after purchasing the book and the fabric for the borders. It was a very cool multi-colored batik border fabric. I guess I'll just add this project to my growing pile. I think I'm going to do the blocks with hand appliqué. It will be a good take along project.


   Next it was on to Knight's Quilt Shop which is on U.S. Rte.1 in Cape Nedick, ME. Here I purchased a few more batiks and some great sports-related fat quarters to use in eye spy quilts. Since we were there, we headed over to Nubble Light, another lovely lighthouse. In December, they put up holiday lights. I'm going to put a December visit to this spot on my to-do list.


    Soon after this was taken, the rain or should I say a deluge began, so after a quick bite to eat (fried clams this time :) we headed for home. It was slow going due to the rain, but eventually as we approached Boston, the rains stopped. Unfortunately, so did the traffic. It was bumper to bumper. The bright side . . . I was able to shoot  this picture of Old Ironsides (U.S.S.Constitution) peeking over the buildings from the top of the Tobin Bridge where nothing was moving. I didn't really care though as Laurel and I had had a wonderful time on our mini quilt shop, lighthouse, and lobster getaway.



No comments:

Post a Comment