Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Artist

     This afternoon I went with my friend Carol to see The Artist. Upon learning this is a silent film, one might initially be reluctant to check it out, but I promise you this is a movie that you must see. It is a complete  delight. I don't want to reveal too much of the plot, but it involves a silent screen matinee idol who is unable to make the adjustment to the new age of talkies. Though he speaks not a word, Jean Dujardin is masterful in the role of George Valentin. He has the swagger and dashing charm of Gene Kelley. Perhaps this came to mind as there are definite similarities between this movie and Singing in the Rain.
     I can't explain it, but after the first few minutes, you are oblivious to the fact that there is no spoken dialogue. There is music, however, and it is wonderful. The role of Peppy Miller is played by the lovely and talented Bérénice Bejo. There are other fine actors in this piece including John Goodwin and James Cromwell, and I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that Uggie the dog also gives an Academy Award worthy performance. :-)
     It has been a very sad week for me, and this film made me smile and cheer. If you love movies, see it. I guarantee you will love it as much as I did. It's an A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment