Tuesday, November 15, 2011

'Tis the Last Rose of Summer

  
     Indeed, this is no doubt the last rose I will see in my garden until spring, but on the other hand you just never know with New England weather. Mark Twain, one of my favorite authors, in a speech in 1876 spoke about the uncertainty of New England weather, "Gentlemen: I reverently believe that the Maker who made us all, makes everything in New England - but the weather. I don't know who makes that, but I think it must be raw apprentices in the Weather Clerk's factory, who experiment and learn how in New England, for board and clothes, and then are promoted to make weather for countries that require a good article, and will take their custom elsewhere if they don't get it. " You can read the rest of Twain's weather speech at http://www.twainquotes.com/18761223.html, and I guarantee it will give you a chuckle especially is you live in these climes.
     Those weather clerks have sure been doing some experimenting lately. Just two weeks ago some areas of New England were buried in deep snow; today it is sixty-five degrees, shirt sleeve weather! Balmy days like this are unheard of at this time of the year. Mind you, I am definitely not complaining, only observing. The only downside to the warm weather has been the mediocre autumn foliage display. Here's a shot taken in my backyard yesterday with a hint of what the leaves should have looked like.


     Finally, have you ever seen a moose antler up close? I gave myself quite a start when I opened the back of my Rav4 after returning from Houston and saw this. A friend who lives in the North Country was 


giving this to another friend of mine who teaches after school science classes, and I was the intermediary. I forgot that I had it. Let me tell you, this antler is pretty gosh darn heavy. I feel somewhat sorry for the poor moose. It must be a relief when they shed them each year. It's missing a few tips as I was told that when they fall off, the other small creatures nibble on the antlers.
     Well, it's time to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather.

1 comment:

  1. Cara Janice, sono delle foto splendide e romantiche mi sento in connessione con te.
    Ciao Vania

    ReplyDelete