Saturday, April 8, 2023

Mary Poppins Cross Stitch Finish



I’m just poppin’ in to wish you all a very Happy Easter and to show you my latest cross stitch finish which I picked up from the framers on Thursday. :-) Non-cross stitchers would be surprised at how many different Mary Poppins charts there are available, but this by far is my favorite.  It is a design by Laura Rimola, the Little Stitcher. 

This was my birthday start last July, and it was stitched on 14 count Denim Dyed Effect from Fabric Flair. There was supposed to be some wording in the middle but it was awkward, so I skipped it. I used the ‘called-for’ floss, but I added a different color floss to emphasize the upper structure of the clock tower. I am thrilled how it turned out.

Now, less you think this is the end of the story, there is more. Way, way back when I was in college, my cousin Jane and her husband welcomed a baby girl to our family. I was given the great honor of being her godmother. I was excited beyond words and wanted to make something special for baby Kristin. Mary Poppins came to mind. In those day I did both needlepoint and crewel. I purchased a Mary Poppins book and a coloring book and designed a crewel piece to stitch. My dad made the frame and cut the glass for it. 

This Mary Poppins piece hung in her childhood bedroom and later moved to her home when she herself was blessed with two baby girls. It still hangs in her home today. So, here is the piece that I created and stitched fifty years ago. :-) (Even then I put my initials and the year in the lower right hand corner.)


Isn’t that fun!!! 

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. That is FUN! What a great set of pieces you shared today. Happy Easter to you too!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete