Saturday, January 9, 2021

Frightening Times

What a horrendous week this has been. For me, the week had started well. With the turn of the new year, I have settled into a more productive routine. Indeed, on Wednesday I was looking forward to sharing some of my recent projects with you. Before sitting down to write my blog post,  I decided to turn on the TV to watch a bit of the electoral college coverage in Congress. Soon, a nightmare unfolded before our eyes. 

Now, I know that some will not want to read my impressions and thoughts about what happened, so as usual they will come at the end of this post below the broken line. Knowing that some may need to read something light, I will present that here first.

This Santa marks my second finish for the new year. It is a Prairie Schooler chart of Santa from 2016. There was quite a lot of stitching in this small piece which took me about two and a half weeks. In the original photo on the chart, it looked to me as if the reindeer had only three legs. I assume that the other back leg was supposed to be behind Santa, but it looked really strange to me, so I stitched in a fourth leg. I also used brighter floss than was indicated.

I made seven bitty boards (7x7)inches. What they are used for and how to make them may be found on this Lori Holt Youtube video.

For some reason, I am unable to load a photo of the Q snap grime guard that I also made. 

If you need a break from the news coverage, let me offer a suggestion, A Fisherman's Friends on Netflix. I had watched it Monday night and wanted to be sure to tell you about it. This film is based on a true story of a group of working fishermen living in Port Isaac on the Cornish coast. (If the locale appears familiar to you, it is where Doc Martin is filmed.) This group of fishermen who love singing sea shanties was discovered by a visiting music executive. You will definitely enjoy it!

Stay safe. Have hope. 

          _________________       ___________________       _____________________ 

Death toll in the United States from Covid  . . . 370,000.

On Wednesday morning, our unhinged President instigated a mob of what he called 'patriots' to rampage through the Capitol. Five people were killed in the mayhem. 

Images I will never forget from that day: the scene of hordes of rioters breaking through barriers and beating back Capitol Hill police to storm through the People's House in search of Vice President Pence and Speaker of the House Nancy Polosi. The scene of a Congresswoman cowering in terror on the floor holding the hand of a fellow lawmaker, and the guards with guns drawn at the barricaded door while instigators broke glass and tried to break down the door. I learned today that one of the men with the guards was an unarmed legislator who was determined to fight along side the guards to protect his fellow lawmakers. 

I did not know that the gas masks that legislators quickly donned are stored under their seats in the chambers. That this precaution is necessary is frightening.

The resolution of lawmakers to go back hours later and finish the work they had begun was inspiring.

I had been to Washington, DC, many times as a chaperone for school trips over the course of my teaching career, and I was always awed by the majesty of these buildings. To see what was happening there on Wednesday terrified me. I am terrified about what could happen over the course of the next ten days.

I  am praying for Joe Biden, for Kamala Harris, and for our democracy.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your addressing what happened to our country this week. I feel a strange need to talk about it, process it, and try to understand how we got here. We live in Heaven on Earth, yet so many want power, money, and more, more, more. Many explanations range from the decrease in church memberships to a cultural weakening of social mores. But this extreme anger is just too hard to grasp for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last four years have been despicable in every sense, and now this. But will it change anyone's mind? I doubt it, but it will be a day in history that we will never forget, a day we will be disgusted with for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete