Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Boothbay Harbor - Quilty Getaway (Part 2)



There was a steady rain when I woke on Wednesday, but happily right outside my balcony there was a loon.  I had never viewed a loon up close before.


After breakfast, we headed out; our first stop On-Board Fabrics on Rt. 27 in Edgecomb.


Can you see what is in the window? The shop owner graciously allowed me to photograph her collection of vintage machines to share with you on my blog. Her husband repairs the old machines that they acquire. This is only a portion of the machines (some of which are for sale) on display throughout the shop.  Bonnie Hunter would be in her glory. (Note to non-quilters: Bonnie Hunter is a very well known quilter who loves and truly appreciates vintage machines.)


Our next stop was Damariscotta  where we visited a bookstore, a wool shop, and a bead shop. After a quick lunch, it was on to Alewives Fabrics in Nobleboro.  That's not the only fabric shop in this small town; we also stopped at Maine-ly Sewing.



Later,  we drove over the swing bridge to Southport so that Edith could actually see the lighthouses which had been shrouded by fog the day before. This is Hendricks Head Light which as I mentioned yesterday is privately owned and no longer operational.






Then we continued to the town landing/pier where we were able to photograph pretty Cuckold Light.




By then the fog was beginning to roll in again. If you take one of the boat cruises, you are able to see a number of other lighthouses i the area, but as you can see it definitely wasn't weather for cruising. Next time . . .

When we returned to Brown's Wharf,  I grabbed a book and my iPad and headed out on my balcony to relax for a while. The sky and light were so perfect that I grabbed a shot with my iPad. Wow!!! I was blown away by the clarity of the iPad shot. While I'm not giving up my 'real' camera, this image definitely turned out pretty well.


As always, simply click on any image to see a larger version. Be sure to click on the view above.That's why I love Boothbay Harbor!!!    :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that iPad shot is great! Who knew??? I loved the display of vintage machines too and I chuckled over the quilt shop names. What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete