Sunday, June 24, 2018

Mount Desert Island - Day 3


On our last day in the Bar Harbor area, we forgo the complimentary breakfast at our motel and instead stopped at Jordan's for some blueberry pancakes. It's a cute, funky, friendly place enjoyed by both regulars and tourists alike.


Our first stop was to photograph this iconic bridge along rt. 102 in Somesville. The rain was pretty steady, so I didn't expect much but then something serendipitous happened. A group of children on a fieldtrip of some kind crossed the street and proceeded across the bridge.



You can't plan for anything like that, but I scrambled to get a couple of quick images. :-) (As always, you may click on this on any other image for a larger view.)


The shower eventually subsided, and we headed on to the Bass Harbor Lighthouse. Along the way we visited Quilt N Fabric in Southwest Harbor. It was a lovely little shop with an equally lovely owner and, of course, I did my part to help the local economy.


There is a path at the end of the parking lot which leads to a wooden flight of stairs. This is the image from the base of the stairs. More agile photographers than I were venturing out onto the rocks for a better vantage point, but my inner voice said "Don't even think about it ... ," and so I was content with this one.


After driving around for a while it was time for lunch at Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard, and yes, that it is a really, really long lobster roll that I am holding. :-)


This was the relaxing view from the deck as we watched lobster men and women unloading their traps.


Here are a few more quintessential Maine photos from the day.



Sunset Bar Harbor. . .



I hope you have enjoyed my photos from my Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park getaway. I apologize if some of the photos took a bit longer than usual to load, but they were not clear when I tried a lower resolution as I normally do.

A comments about commenting: I apologize to those of you who left comments and did not receive a response from me. Evidently, a glitch has developed with Blogspot which they are aware of and are trying to fix. In the past, I always received an email notification when a comment was sent but that appears to have stopped a couple of weeks ago. I would not have even realized that there was a problem until I read about it on a number of other blogs that use Blogspot. In any event, I was able to go back and read and post your comments and please know that I always enjoy reading them.

Just one other thing . . . There are two other quilt shops in the area worth checking out.  Fabricate right in Bar Harbor has fabric and scrap booking supplies and much more. Check out the link to see what they offer. We also stopped at Sewing by  the Sea in Trenton on our way home.  Strangely enough, I managed to find a few things to add to my stash at each shop. :-)

Have a wonderful week.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Some day, I hope to visit! I thought the shot of the bridge with the kids was going to be my favorite until I saw the last photo.I am so digging that final photo. The way the light hits those sails makes the ship look like it is iridescent. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! The light was glorious that night.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Acadia was so beautiful. I’m hoping to also go to my favorite spot in Maine, Boothbay Harbor, in July for a few days. Lucky me:-)

    ReplyDelete