Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Bathing Dresses - 1905


Over the weekend I spent some time working on this crazy quilt block which I finished last night. Proper young ladies wore these "bathing dresses" of "bathing costumes" in 1905 when this photo was taken in Center Harbor, NH. My grandmother is on the bottom left.

There are many sites on the internet which show the evolution of "bathing dresses." Just a few years prior to this photo, bathing dresses had long sleeves and were floor length. In 1905,  black wool short sleeved bathing dresses were knee or slightly below knee length, and they were worn with black wool stockings as you can see in this photo. The articles also indicated that sailor collars and ribbon trims were common. 


Today at the supermarket there was a colorful display of African violets. Since I couldn't decide, I brought home three!!! When I see African violets, I think of my Aunt Alice who besides being a wonderful cook was also a dedicated gardener. There were always African violets on display in her house. It was from helping her in her garden that I developed my green thumb and love of gardening.

1 comment:

  1. thank goodness we don't have to wear those costumes now! lol x Love the colours in the violets xx

    ReplyDelete