Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Music Themed Quilt and a Book Recommendation


     I finally finished sewing down the binding of my new musical themed quilt. As you can see in the photo below, the octagons are made with note fabric as is the final border. 


     Last week, I met friends for breakfast, and the talk turned to what everyone had been reading. One friend highly recommended The Girl Who Came Home: A Novel of the Titanic by Hazel Gaynor. Now I am probably one of the few people who has never seen the blockbuster movie Titanic, but the story of the ill-fated maiden voyage of the supposedly unsinkable ship has always intrigued me. Having just finished another book, I decided to download this one. Annette was right; this was a great read!!! The story begins with Maggie and thirteen others from a small village in Ireland who are leaving their homes for a better life in America. Sunday afternoon was a bit too warm for gardening or quilting, so I grabbed a tall glass of pink lemonade and headed to the sunporch where I began reading. I couldn't put the book down. Page after page, I just kept going with only short breaks here and there. I stayed on the porch until 11:30 reading and would have finished it, except for the fact that I had an obligation early Monday morning.  Yesterday afternoon, I did have time to finish the book . . . 375 pages in two days. I guess that's a pretty strong indication of how much I enjoyed this novel. This was Hazel Gaynor's first novel, and I can't wait to see what she writes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment