Thursday, May 8, 2014

Crazy Quilt Possibilities



    Look at these rich, beautiful colors. Mary Ann, a member of the Herring Run Quilt Guild to which I also belong, read on my blog that I have developed an interest in crazy quilting, and she gifted me with a bag of silk scraps and other wonderful fabrics. 


Aren't they delicious!!!  They will be perfect for a project that I have in mind. I want to make a traditional crazy quilt wallhanging and incorporate some vintage cigarette silks. Cigarette silks used to be given away inside packages of cigarettes in the early 1900s. People would collect the various subjects such as flowers, flags, historical figures and use them in their crazy quilting. I have a few silks from Old Mill Cigarettes featuring popular actresses of the period.


In a day or two I will post a photo of the crazy quilt piece upon which I am currently working. The first block is nearly finished.


     This past weekend was a special one in our family as there were four First Communions. My cousin Kristin's little girl received First Holy Communion on Saturday. I was unable to go as Emma was not feeling well. Two weeks ago at her yearly check up, the vet had pointed out that there was a significant build up of tartar on her back teeth, so Emma's teeth were cleaned last Monday, and during the next few days she experienced increasing gastric problems. I took her back to the animal hospital early Friday morning as she had been sick during the night and was very lethargic. They gave her fluids after determining that she had become dehydrated. I took her home and watched her closely. Fortunately, after the fluids and with some additional medicine, Emma improved so I was able to attend the First Communion Mass for my cousin Brian's triplets on Sunday. 
     I am happy to report that Emma is now back to her excited, happy, squirrel-chasing, active self. Thank goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment