Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Very Fine Fourth


     The 4th of July is one of my very favorite holidays. I love everything about it. Yesterday, I invited friends over to celebrate and snapped this photo of Emma sitting on my lap while waiting for our guests to arrive.


The meal was your typical All-American cookout food: chips and dip, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, etc. For dessert I served blueberry pie. Yummmmmmmm!!!


     In the evening I attended a performance of the play Jefferson and Adams: A Revolutionary Dialogue at the Adams National Historic Park in Quincy, MA. I had seen this free production two years ago and convinced a few friends to join me there last night. 



     The play deals with the long, sometimes troubled friendship between these two great Founding Fathers and the times and events they lived through. It is a three person play with superb portrayals of John Adams (Sam Goodyear), Abigail Adams (Abigail Schulman), and Thomas Jefferson (Bill Barker). 


     The script is drawn from the correspondences between these figures, and the language is incredibly rich and eloquent. My friends loved the play and were glad I had shared this treasure with them.


   I can think of no better way to end the festivities of the Fourth then by attending this play which is held each year. Mark your calendar, and perhaps I will see you there next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment