Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Treasure of Montano Bay

 "Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink. . . " was the theme of the challenge issued for our recent guild show. I decided to create an underwater cove based on ideas and techniques  explained in Judith Baker Montano's wonderful book, Fiberart Montage - Combining Quilting, Embroidery, and Photography with Embellishments. This was my first attempt at an art quilt, and I really enjoyed the journey.

In her book, the author uses velvet to create the walls of the cove. This would give incredibly richness to the piece, but as a beginner I decided to try something else. The walls of my cove were created using multi-colored batiks and Texture Magic which after some experimentation yielded just the effect which I was looking for. My friend, also named Janice, is a  jewelry maker, and she gave me access to her vast collection of beads. I thought the piece needed something more, so I added a treasure chest overflowing with pearls, rubies, and gold. That explains the title of the piece which I named in honor of the author.
  I was thrilled with the final  product. My only regret was that I didn't make it larger. The finished piece measures just fourteen by sixteen.   Some day I may revisit this subject.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment