Thursday, June 14, 2018

Bar Harbor 2018



Last Wednesday, my friend Marilyn and I headed to Bar Harbor, Maine, for a getaway. Since I live just south of Boston that meant a five and a half hour drive which didn't include any break stops and slow moving Boston traffic. We had left about 9:30 in hopes of missing the worst of the rush hour, but when it comes to driving through Boston, there is never a good time.  After about two hours, I stopped for some 'jet fuel.' That's my name for a Starbucks Iced Mocca Latte; I shouldn't have sugary drinks, but I wanted to be sure to be alert, wide eyed, and bushy tailed as I drove,  and so, fueled by my latte, we made it to the Bar Harbor Motel by late afternoon.

I would highly recommend this motel. It was very clean, the staff was friendly, and a lovely continental breakfast was included.




Marilyn grew up three houses down from me, so we have known each other since childhood. We travel well together; she lets me stop and take as many photos as I would like and visit any quilt shops in the area, I let her visit gift shops and let me just say, there were many, many gift shops in Bar Harbor.


We had an early dinner at Testa's Restaurant, and I was thrilled that the vegetable of the day was fiddleheads as I had never tasted them. (If you have never heard of them, let me explain. They grow wild and are only available for a few short weeks. These were sauteed with little bits of ham and boy were they delicious.) [ Guess what I just learned??? It's sauted when there is an object . . . 'He sauted the onions, but if there is no object, it is spelled sauteed. . . ] {If I was cook, I probably would have known this ;-) Both words should have an accent mark. Don't you just love dictionaries!!!


We turned in early as we knew we would be touring Acadia National Park the following day and that will be the focus of my next post.


I almost forgot. . . Emma wanted me to be sure to wish all of our blog readers a very happy Flag Day. This is how she looked after a trip to the groomer on Tuesday, and yes, once again she has red, glued on, jewels on her ear tips. :-)

Emma also had a fun time at her home away from home visiting her canine cousins Harvey and Bailey while I was away.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely friendship you two share and Emma looks quite festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bar Harbor, I have been twice and loved every minute of my visits. I am sure it has changed in the years since I have been there. Arcadia National Park is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete