Saturday, April 5, 2014

School Days and Tintype Image




     There is an old sheet music cabinet in my cellar holding a collection of vintage piano pieces. If it was a hit song in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, you could probably still find it on one of its shelves. These pieces belonged to my Aunt Mildred. Also in the cabinet are some old school photos from my father's side of the family. Three of his sisters were older than he, so I would date these photos to around 1910 -1915. They make me smile . . . especially the one below.


Why this one in particular? Watch as I zoom in . . . 


I think the little girl in the top row with the huge bow may possibly have been my Aunt May, but that's not what makes me smile. Look closer.


The teacher's pointed finger is strategically pinning this little guy in place. .  . no fidgeting allowed and check out the lovely smile on the little girl beside him. ;-) It's classic!!! For fun, I used to have one of these school photos framed and hanging in my classroom. I can't tell you how often I was asked by one of my eighth graders which child I was in the photo. H'mmm, just how old did they think I was???
     While I was looking through the cabinet, I also found a couple of tintypes including this one. That's my father's mother on the right. I have no idea who the other woman was. It was probably taken sometime around 1890. The image on the tintype has faded, but I was able to enhance it. It's interesting to see how they added a touch of pink on the cheeks to the metal image. I have seen the same thing on a number of tintypes that I have. Some of those images are pretty cool. Perhaps I will post a few of them at another time.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment