Sunday, August 20, 2023

A Busy Week and a Scary Morning


This lovely curcuma graces my sunporch. I love the sculptural elements of this plant. To learn more about curcuma plants you may visit Costa Farms

So, what has been keeping me busy lately? The Company Theater in Norwell had a world premiere of a contemporary rock opera.



Since  my cousin Miss L. chose ‘Joan of Arc’ as her confirmation name and since her sister Miss T. is involved in theater, I invited them along with their parents to see this production. The music was wonderful and each person in the cast had a wonderful voice. The staging of the play was masterful and the story was well told. If I had any criticism, it would be that the first act needed to be shorter; a few judicious cuts would help move things along.

I met retired teacher friends for lunch on Tuesday, and friends came to dinner on Wednesday and other friends on Thursday. . . a busy fun week. I’ll keep that in mind this week as an issue will keep me off my foot for at least a week. Yes, I am grounded once again. Gosh darn it! I was supposed to join family at a WooSox game at Polar Park in Worcester this afternoon and I had plans on Monday and Tuesday. Oh, well, it is what it is . . . If I follow my doctor’s orders, I hope to be back out galavanting the following week. :-() Meanwhile I should be able to make some progress on the 269 piece wool applique project spread out on my dining room table. 

So, about that scary morning . . . on Thursday evening meteorologists were predicting some heavy rain storms moving in around 5:00 am Friday. When I got up before 8:00, there was still no rain. Things changed after 9:00 as the meteorologists began breaking into the morning shows to report a tornado watch in Connecticut. Things went downhill at that point. The tornado alerts kept coming and to my shock where I live was in the target zone. At 9:45, my cell phone began blasting an alarm saying to take shelter in the basement which Emma and I immediately did. My cousin Kristin kept texting me updates. At one point, she asked if I was near two particular streets as the tornado was on that path. I live on a long street and the streets she mentioned are at either ends of my street. YIKES!!! Fortunately, there was absolutely no damage in my area. The tornado did, however, touch down and do some damage in another section of Weymouth. We have not had a tornado in this area in seventy years. It was scary.  I’d just as soon just deal with our Nor’easters and blizzards.

The weather this summer across our country has been beyond crazy. Have a stress free, calm week and wherever you live I hope your weather is calm and pleasant.

1 comment:

  1. Scary. . .indeed! I'm glad that you and Emma escaped injury. Whew! Tornadoes are such destructive forces. --TerryK@OnGoingProjects currently having smoky skies. . .indoors is best!

    ReplyDelete