Sunday, October 16, 2022

All Hallow’s Eve, Cat-o’-Lantern, and Vanished Days



 It’s another gorgeous day here in New England and though I’d like to be out gallivanting with my camera, I’m being good and staying off my foot. 

What have I accomplished this week since I have had time on my hands? 




First up, here is “All Hallows’ Eve” by Lilas Studio on Etsy. I finished stitching it last weekend. The wooden door on which it is mounted came from the Target Dollar Spot and cost a whole five dollars! I knew when I saw it that it would be perfect for this chart. 



Second, I stitched “Cat-o’-Lantern” by Misty Purcell of Luminous Fiber Arts from the Just Cross Stitch 2020 Special Halloween Issue. I had always planned to stitch this piece, but I had not gotten around to it. This “Hello Pumpkin” crate seemed the perfect place to display it. 


I only stitched a portion of each chart. Though I would like to move on to autumn and Christmas stitching this week, there are two small Halloween pieces I am going to stitch first.

In case you are wondering, I had already hauled up my Halloween decor from the cellar before I was grounded.  Fingers crossed, I’m hoping to be out of my trusty, big black boot in time to bring up my turkeys and pilgrims! :-)


My friend Janice loaned me Vanished Days by Suzanna Kearsley. Having read and enjoyed all of her previous novels, I couldn’t wait to begin reading this even putting aside the book that I had currently been reading. Sad to say, reading this was a tough slog. I forced myself to keep at it as I knew that if I put it down for a day or two, I might not pick it up again. It was at times confusing with so many characters and it was not the most interesting book that the author has written. I didn’t see the plot twist coming, and although it was all pleasantly, albeit implausibly, ended, I’m not recommending it. Having said that, if this author is new to you, please do read The Rose Garden, which is my favorite of her novels. It’s a romantic, time-travel, historical work which I absolutely guarantee you would love; I seldom reread any novels, but I have read The Rose Garden twice!!!

Plans for the week ahead? I have a quilt featuring a flock of fun, colorful chickens to work on for my young cousin Miss T.’s birthday on Halloween. The flock won’t be done by then as I am not going to follow Lori Holt’s “Chicken Salad” pattern; instead of pieced sections around each block, I’ve decided to just make more chickens!!! :-) 

I also intend to put a bit of time into a wool applique piece. (I know what you are thinking. . . why don’t you just concentrate on one project and get it finished before starting another one. That’s a swell idea and perfectly logical, but that is not how I roll ;-).

Have a great week. Stay creative and stay safe as Covid numbers are on the rise and please don’t forget to book your mammogram. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have lots of fun ahead making more chickens! Your Halloween cross stitch witch is my favorite. I love that skirt!--TerryK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I love this piece, too! There are so, so many Halloween cross stitch charts, but I only stitch the cute, fun ones :-).

      Delete