Wednesday, January 8, 2020

First Two Finishes for 2020


This "Campers - Livin' the Dream" wool applique table centerpiece was begun around Thanksgiving, and I added the backing and buttonhole stitched edge while watching the Patriots play on Saturday. It was very sad, but I know in my heart that QB 12 will be back next year. There is no way Tom Brady would consider retirement after a game that ended in that manner. He'll be back for sure!

I saw a picture of "Campers - Livin' the dream in a catalogue, and though I am not a camper, I couldn't resist ordering this pattern with these colorful glampers.  Most of the stitching was buttonhole, french knots, or chain stitches. Though it doesn't show well in the photo, I added a few glittery little beads to the stars. It is a fun piece which I will happily pull out in the spring.

Next up was this sweet nativity piece which I had originally seen hanging, I believe, at the Vermont Quilt Show. I was a goner once I saw the tiny camels and sheep! Too cute! The pattern was "Little Bits - Trim the Tree ll with Nativity insert" by Cindi Edgeton, and all of these adorable little buttons came with the pattern that I purchased.. 


My finished piece is 11 x 14 as I didn't add as many borders as the pattern showed. 



I enjoy paper piecing, but some of these pieces were pretty tiny. In this small tree skirt section which measures roughly 1.5 x 3 inches there are fourteen pieces!


Though Christmas  has gone by, I may still hang it up for a bit, and just think, it will be all set for next year. 

Now I have three recommendations for you. 

The first is be sure to go see Little Women; it is wonderful. I saw it with a friend this afternoon at the Loring Hall Cinema, a perfect place for seeing this film. For those not from this area, this cinema is located in Hingham Square. The hall was opened in 1852 as a place for lectures and meetings but became a movie theater in 1936 and has been one ever since. 

Little Women is a lovely, lovely film and again, you really should go see it. It was filmed in Massachusetts. Scenes were shot at among other places: the Emerson Colonial Theater in Boston, the Arnold Arboretum, the Stoughton Train Station, the Bradley Estate in Canton, the Crane Estate in Ipswich, the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston, The Old Manse in Concord, Orchard House in Concord, etc. You may see a complete listing of the film locations and a map at the MA Film Office.

Do you sometimes feel that the world is spinning out of control and not just in the last few days with the escalating crisis in the Middle East, the impending impeachment hearings, the rise in hate crimes, the fires ravishing Australia? I start my day with two things from my email box which help keep me informed.

The first is the CNN 5 Things Newsletter which gives you what you need to know to Get Up to Speed and Out the Door.  In other words,  they touch on five things happening in the world that you should be aware of; for example, today it was the crisis in Iran, the Ukrainian airline crash, the devastating wildfires in Australia, the impeachment impasse, and the ongoing crisis in Venezuela. Each of the five items is usually a paragraph, but there are links should you wish to read more. Below that is the Breakfast Browse section with five lighter items and at the very bottom there is always something to   make you smile.

Another newsletter that I have begun reading is "Heather Cox Richardson from Letters from an American." She is a professor of history at Boston College and in her daily newsletter she offers historical facts and political perspective to explain the significance of events taking place in our country. Her commentaries are always insightful.

If you have read this far, thank you! I'll try to be briefer next time.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment