Sunday, August 11, 2013

Vince Gill in Concert in Cohasset


     I went with friends last night to see Vince Gill in concert at the South Shore Music Circus in Cohasset. It was two solid hours of mighty fine music. Lordy, that man sure can play the guitar! Speaking of guitarists, playing with him was Paul Franklin, a master steel guitarist. They have recently released an album Bakersfield  which pays homage to the Bakersfield sound of the 60s and 70s made popular by Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. It was nice to hear that steel guitar. The enthusiastic audience loved every moment of this concert.
     On Thursday, I had gone with a friend to the Lowell Quilt Festival. The quilts on display were wonderful including one by our friend Liz. While some people only like the traditional style of quilt making, I am excited to see the various forms quilting is taking today. There was a special exhibit of contemporary quilts by members of the Boston Modern Quilt Group. They also had on display three quilts which had been made for victims of the Marathon bombing tragedy. They receive 2,000 donated blocks (I made four), and they are still busy putting the quilts together. It was and is a wonderful display of support for those affected by this tragedy.
     Finally, something really cool happened this morning. I was out picking some cherry tomatoes from the pots on the patio when a hummingbird swooped in. I remained very still while it hovered looking me straight in the eye. Was he attracted to my red hair? There was a pot of red salvia in front of the pots, but he was definitely flying around me. I have a hummingbird feeder in my garden, but I have never been able to get such a close look until this morning. What a very special magic moment!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment