Friday, May 4, 2018

Friday Photos



On Tuesday when I picked up Emma at the groomer (Pooch Paws in Rockland), she was sporting this green, dazzling bow, a perfect match for her sparkling personality. I will tuck the bow away for St. Patrick's day.

Later she checked out some of my daffodils.


If you are new to my blog or haven't read about these daffodils, please read my post  Full Circle from 2011. It's an amazing story and all the more so because it really happened. I guarantee you will enjoy it. These daffodils are descendants of those very same bulbs. I intend to divide them later in the summer, so if you would like some, please let me know.


The grape hyacinths have also come on strong this year.


The plant in the front is a money/lunaria plant. It's a biennial which is grown for its flat, round silvery seed pods which make a lovely dried arrangement. I have had money plants scattered throughout my large garden for as long as I can remember.



Aren't they pretty with these little yellow flowers?


I don't even have to plant these lovely, yellow flowers; they just come up every spring. You have to admit that they are quite pretty when they first appear.


By the way, did you know that the name for this plant "dandelion" derives from the French, "dent de lion . . . teeth of the lion? That's your fun fact for the day.

Have a wonderful spring weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Such wonderful color already in your garden! My grandma use to say a weed is any plant where you don't want it. She left the dandelions in her yard. In the early spring, she would cut, steam and eat them. She called them "poor man's greens!" Thanks for the flashback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s all a matter of perspective. When I as a kid, I would pick little bouquets of them for my mom. I wonder if children still do that? :-)

      Delete
  2. this made me laugh .. Emma looks SO snooty! Your garden is so colourful x Dandelions are a weed here and will grow ANYWHERE!!!!! they are a super colour though and brighten up all the lawns x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely a weed here as well, but I don't choose to use chemicals to get rid of them. I do use a long handled weeder to try to keep them somewhat under control.

      Delete
  3. The cut flowers look so beautiful in your home!

    ReplyDelete