Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Whole Lot of Stitching Going On



I have done a bit more on the Lori Holt's "Let's Bake2" quilt. Isn't the milk bottle cute? I'm at a bit of a standstill on this project as two of my sewing machines are in the repair shop. It was operator error in each case. I ran over a pin with my small Janome which surprisingly threw off the timing. I'm embarrassed to tell you what happened to my big machine, but I will. I had run out of bobbin thread and had decided that it would be a good time to clean the bobbin case. etc.  Well, I unscrewed the top plate and instead of placing the two screws on the table, I left them on the bed of the machine. Big mistake!!! In a blink of an eye somehow they rolled into the machine. They were not even close to the opening, so I don't know what the heck happened. Gremlins!!! Since it has been a few years since this machine had been cleaned and tuned up, it too went off to the sewing center. I still have my original machine in the cellar that I could bring up to use if I wished, but I have quite a bit of hand stitching to do.

These cross-stitched gingham blocks will each have a tiny button as with the yellow block. They will  then each be pressed and trimmed to four and a half inches and become the center of larger patchwork blocks. These blocks will then constitute the border. It calls for about thirty blocks so I have maybe twenty-four more to do! Fortunately, they are simple to stitch. If I finish them, I also have my Soko Saito applique piece to work on.

Speaking of stitching, yesterday the Crosstown Quilters Guild had Diane Annis speak on "Redwork Through the Ages." She presented a program featuring a wonderful trunk show of both vintage and contemporary pieces. Many members also brought in their redwork pieces, and it was a veritable treasure of redwork.

Now for the best news of all. . .  I finally have my new car back, and they have extended my powertrain warranty which hopefully I will never need. Honestly, I am so relieved to have my "4,605" mile car fixed after being in the shop for eight days!!! Though I always appear cheerful and calm on the outside, inside I was really, really stressed over the whole situation. It feels as if a weight has now been lifted off of my shoulders.

Have a good week.

2 comments:

  1. The milk bottle is cute! My heart flipped flopped over the gingham work. I look forward to seeing your setting as it sounds interesting! Glad your car is home and in service again. That experience was unsettling and I hope unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wee bunnies are so cute. Love your stitching. So glad your car is back. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete