Monday, August 29, 2016

I've Been Busy . . .


Last Wednesday, Emma and I had a "Ladies Lunch Day" with my Cousin Kristin and her two girls, and on Friday, my Cousin Linda came with her two boys. Both visits were great fun and both involved a trip to Hornstra Farm in Norwell, MA, for ice cream. You should have seen the blue ice cream covered face of Linda's youngest; just picture an adorable little blond four year old with melting ice cream all over his face, shirt, and hands. :-) Everyone at the ice cream stand was smiling when he loudly proclaimed that the cotton candy flavored ice cream was the best that he had ever had. (Fortunately, his mom did have a container of wipes to clean things up. ;-) 

On Thursday after going to the dentist, I met some fellow retired teachers for lunch and later stopped for a visit to see my aunt. All in all, it was quite a busy week, but I did manage to get a few things accomplished.  I finished these two incubator covers. The members of all of the guilds to which I belong donate many different items to charity. The cute animal piece above and the tropical fish piece below are incubator covers which will be donated to a Boston hospital. One side is bright and colorful while the reverse is dark to prevent light from disturbing the sleep of the wee little ones.


I also made three drawstring bags for children in DCF (Department of Children and Families.) Children often arrive at the agency carrying their few belongings in trash bags, so these bags are appreciated. The middle bag is actually as large as the others but is folded in this photo.


The Force Was With Me this weekend as I got together for three days of quilting with friends at a local hotel. Here are two of five Star Wars pillowcases which will also be donated to DCF.


Finally, this morning I attended the funeral of one of my gym buddies. She was a truly amazing woman and an inspiration to all who knew her. On the back of the Mass booklet there was a moving poem with which I was not familiar by Helen Lowrie Marshall. I thought I would share this poem with you.
Afterglow

I'd like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I'd like to leave an afterglow 
of smiles when life is done.
I'd like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways,
Of happy times and laughing times
and bright and sunny days.
I'd like the tears of those who grieve,
to dry before the sun
of happiest memories that I leave 
when life is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment