Friday, May 27, 2016

The Hawk Family Returns


As you can see, Mr. and Mrs. Hawk have again chosen to build their nest between the speakers at the top of the church that I attend. I've been keeping a 'hawk' eye out for these parishioners who were later than last year setting up their home.  The nest is somewhat hidden behind the speakers, and the babies are just becoming large enough to see. These images were taken with my 300m lens. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will see two babies next to mom. There may be more, but that's all that I could see.

Dad is usually perched as he was last year at the very top. This will give you a better idea of their temporary residence.


This afternoon, Emma began barking excitedly on the sunporch when she spotted a turkey in the backyard. No doubt he had come to check out my gardens which are coming along nicely. He soon flew into my neighbor's yard, and Emma was pleased with that.


A few  more garden glimpses and a question. . .




Should Knockout Roses be deadheaded? The answer seems to be fifty - fifty on all the sites that I visited. I have planted two red and one yellow this year for the first time. If you have this type of roses, I'd love to know what works best for you. . . deadheading or not.

1 comment:

  1. Cool story about the hawks setting up residence in your church's speakers. Interesting that they would find that a suitable spot!--Terry

    ReplyDelete