Saturday, February 20, 2016

New Crazy Quilt Project



Two years ago I created my first crazy quilt piece which featured photos of my paternal grandmother. Now I am starting a new piece with photos from my maternal grandmother's photo album. Growing up, I liked to look at the small, faded photos from the turn of the last century. Last night I made the first block to which I will add stitching and embellishments.

My grandmother is in the top right corner. I have found that for me, "Jacquard Ink Jet Fabric Cotton Sheets" give the best results for printing photos. At this point, I am thinking of making nine six inch blocks, but that could change.


In my previous post, I mentioned the wonderful hand applique class that I had taken with quilter David Taylor last August. After finishing that post, I went to The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims website where I was stunned to read about an explosion and fire that had occurred at the home of David Taylor in Steamboat Springs in Colorado on Tuesday evening. He was safe as he was teaching in Chicago at the time. Most of his magnificent quilts are in private collections, but a few were lost in the fire along with his machines. If interested, you can read more about it here.

On a lighter note, yesterday my godchild and her family came for a visit. After breakfast at our local diner, the girls raced around the backyard with Emma, and then we all played a game. It's always great fun when they come for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment