Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas 2015



On this unseasonably warm Christmas Eve, Emma and I wish you a very Merry Christmas.


My holiday decor is an eclectic mix with an accent on the vintage. I pull out this beautiful Heisey glass punch bowl each year and fill it with ornaments. My father's parents had received it as a gift for their twenty-fifth anniversary which was at the turn of the last century.  Here are some other vintage pieces.


I remember ordering the kit to make this china doll from a Better Homes and Garden magazine when I was a teenager. The china body parts arrived in a tiny cardboard box along with a pattern for the clothes which I chose to make in Christmas colors. Having made this doll was good preparation for restoring my Grandmother's china doll a number of years later. 


This Santa is one of many vintage ornaments on my tree.  This sleeping Santa bank has also been around since my childhood.


When I sold my aunts' home, I brought home Frosty and Santa which had been on their fireplace mantle each year.


This is one of two vintage stocking stretchers that I found in my cellar. Quite a few years ago, I decided to turn one into a holiday decoration.  In case you haven't seen one before, in the old days they would put freshly washed stockings over the form to prevent them from shrinking.



One last thing to bring a smile . . . I just couldn't resist buying this little guy at one of the craft shows that I attended. I absolutely did not need another ornament for my trees, but the Elmer Fudd hat got me. :-)


Time now to watch the Horton family hang their Christmas ornaments on Days of Our Lives. It's amazing to think this soap opera is in its fiftieth year. The ornaments hung on today's program are replicas because in November of this year the original ornaments along with other memorabilia from the show were donated to the Smithsonian. You can read about that here.

Merry Christmas to all. . . 

1 comment: