Monday, August 31, 2015

A Lovely Day in Lowell - Whistler House Museum of Art


After our visit on Saturday to the New England Quilt Museum, we walked over to the birthplace of artist James McNeill Whistler which is now the Whistler House Museum of Art . Presently there is an exhibit "Out of the Blue: Art Quilts 2015." 




Before viewing the exhibit which is housed in a separate building, we decided to tour the house. There were a few things beside the artwork that caught my eye . . .


What do you think this is? I'll show you at the end of this post.


 I've never seen a copper-lined tub.




In the yard there was a wonderful birdhouse replica of the main house.


Here's the answer . . . a box to store your top hat!


One of the art quilts which received an award is Koi  by Sarah Ann Smith from Maine.


I loved her use of beading and the machine quilting on this piece.


That's another thing on my list . . . learn to machine quilt. They claim that you just need to practice for a bit every day, but when oh when would I fit that in???  I believe Koi  received the award for viewers' choice and now you can see why. It was wonderful!


On the way home we stopped at Piers Park in East Boston where I took this shot. The lighting wasn't the best, but I took this record shot anyway.


Alongside another pier was docked the Nantucket Lightship.


All in all, it was a full, lovely day out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment