Sunday, August 3, 2014

Take Me Out to the Ballgame, Lunch, and a Quilt Show


     It was a great week. Since part of the reason I blog is to try and keep track of what I've been doing, let me share some of this week's highlights. Yesterday my friend Marilyn and I attended a Red Sox vs. Yankees game. I will be the first to admit that I am not really a baseball fan; the game moves a bit too slow for me and I never watch them on TV. Having said that, I do love, love, love the "experience" of being at a game in person at Fenway Park. From the time you leave the crowded subway and start jostling along with other happy game goers you can feel the excitement building. 


     Country singer Trace Adkins who was appearing at the South Shore Music Circus later that evening sang the National Anthem. He has a very deep, rich voice, and I was truly impressed by his range. As everyone knows, our anthem is very difficult to sing well, but (. . . indulge me here), he hit it out of the park! What a voice!!!


     Derek Jeter, who is retiring at the end of this season, received appreciative cheers and loud applause each time he came up to bat. In spite of the long standing rivalry between these two teams, fans do respect talent. I met a couple from New York who were very pleased with the reception that he received at Fenway. 


     Though it was downright chilly and the home team didn't win, everyone still had a great time at the game.
     Going back to Tuesday, I went to lunch with a group of fellow retired teachers. As always, it was lovely to see everyone and to welcome a new member to our group. Most of us enjoyed the delicious lobster special. Yum! 
     On Friday, I went with friends to a quilt show in Harvich on Cape Cod. There are many, many talented quilters in the Bayberry Quilters of Cape Cod Guild and their work was truly beautiful. The vendors at the show were also good though I only made a couple of purchases.


I thought this Garden Quilt pattern by Amy Bradley Designs would be a wonderfully cheery project to work on during the winter months, and I picked up these fat quarters which I think will work well in the piece.
     After lunch and a quick stop at a quilt shop on Orleans, we headed for home. Since I had had lobster on Tuesday, I ordered something else, but I couldn't resist posting what some of my friends selected, a lobster cobb salad. What an artistic presentation.


Good friends, beautiful quilts, fun day trips, a ballgame . . . it really doesn't get much better than this. Life is good!!! Have a wonderful week!



No comments:

Post a Comment