Friday, December 21, 2012

Lincoln

     I saw Steven Spielberg's Lincoln a week ago, and it is a masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis is brilliant as Lincoln, and the rest of the cast is equally good. Two things struck me about the movie which deals with Lincoln's attempts to get the 13th Amendment passed which would end the institution of slavery. The first was a scene of a bitter confrontation between an anguished President and his distraught wife as they tried to grapple with the loss of their young son. Their pain was palpable, and I thought of that scene over and over as the news from Newtown unfolded.
     The second thing about the movie which struck me was the look and feel of the movie. From the bloody battlefields to the streets of Washington to the White House itself,  the viewer was transported to those times and places. It is an amazing film which I encourage you to see. I'd give it an A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment