Tuesday, February 14, 2012

They Don't Make Love Songs Like This Anymore


     Happy Valentine's Day!!! To celebrate the day, I thought I would share with you some classic romantic pieces from my sheet music collection.


    My father's oldest sister was quite a pianist. As a child, I remember going through her music cabinet and pulling out all sorts of interesting pieces which she would then play. Aunt Mildred had taught fifth grade in the Boston Public School system for many, many years. I know she was a fine teacher, but you could surely sense that she would brook no nonsense in her classroom. She was always a prim and proper lady, but you could glimpse another side of her when she sat down to play. She could play a hauntingly beautiful Blue Danube Strauss waltz then go straight into a key-thumping 12th Street Rag. Her upright piano stands in my living room and her collection of sheet music is stored in a music cabinet in the basement. Though the piano is over one hundred years old, it has a great, rich sound. I do sit down at the bench from time to time, but alas, my skills are rudimentary at best.


     In case you're wondering, these pieces are from 1924 and 1925. 

1 comment:

  1. I think maybe some of those song titles could be brought back... cannot be much worse than some of the offereings we get these days xx

    ReplyDelete